What's Province 1?
Definition of a Province
A Province, one of the nine geographical gatherings of dioceses within the Episcopal Church exists to support the body of Christ in that part of the Church by…
A. Fulfilling their responsibilities as outlined in the Episcopal Church canons, or as may be assigned to it by the General Convention and/or Executive Council by:
- Electing Provincial Synod officers and responding to all matters brought to the Synod, including enactment of budget and governing ordinances.
- Electing judges to a Provincial Court of Review.
- Electing clerical and lay provincial Executive Council Representatives Electing or appointing other provincial representatives.
- Participating in the development of program and budget proposals for consideration by the General Convention Receiving program from the General Convention budget and providing accountability to the General Convention for the use of those funds.
B. Discerning the mission and ministry distinctive to that region and time, and facilitating the empowering of those ministries within the province by:
- Encouraging and facilitating cooperation and collaboration across diocesan lines, with the Executive Council, and with the Episcopal Church Center Staff
- Initiating, implementing, overseeing and evaluating programming, when appropriate and desirable
- Facilitating the sharing of resources and information within and among the provinces.
- From The Burlington/Chesapeake Document 2004
Province One's Mission:
The Province’s Mission is to further the work of and deepen relationships in The Episcopal Church in New England. The Province accomplishes this by coordinating the interdependent ministries of the seven dioceses in a spirit of mutual responsibility. The Executive Director of the Province of New England works with diocesan staff and congregational leaders to coordinate efforts, communicate information, share resources, and make connections to work for God’s mission in the world, restoring people to unity with God and each other in Christ.
- The Diocese of Connecticut
- The Diocese of Maine
- The Diocese of Massachusetts
- The Diocese of New Hampshire
- The Diocese of Rhode Island
- The Diocese of Vermont
- The Diocese of Western Massachusetts
We believe that there are things we can do better together rather than separately. Bi-weekly web conferences (First Monday at 7:30 pm and Third Tuesday at 8 am) of provincial delegates (one lay and one clergy representative for each diocese) will begin in September 2013. In addition to sharing information about initiatives and events in their dioceses, delegates will "see what is rising" and identify appropriate ways for the province to offer support, facilitate relationships, encourage collaborations and/or provide leadership. The Province's Executive Committee (President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Executive Director) meet monthly to evaluate current efforts and initiate new ones in response to identified needs.